Our main source of funding for welfare benefits advice is for people who live, work or study in Camden. We now also have funding from the City Bridge Trust to to provide specialist welfare benefits advice to people from any London borough – please note that we only have one caseworker for this London-wide project so we may not be able to assist everyone who contacts us

We provide specialist legal advice on welfare benefit and tax credit issues. We do not offer basic benefit checks or form filling for new claims (with the exception of PIP and DLA forms), but we advise clients when there is a problem with their claim.

  • Refusal of benefits
  • Disability benefits and Employment and Support Allowance
  • Overpayments and requests for repayment
  • Habitual residence and right to reside in the UK
  • Sanctions
  • Appeals (including appeals to the Upper Tribunal).

How to access advice:

By drop-in – PLEASE NOTE – there is no drop-in now until February but we have made more appointments available so please either telephone 020 7831 7079 or come to the office to book an appointment.

If you live, work or study in Camden we offer a drop-in service at the Legal Centre on Mondays between 2pm-4pm. No appointment is necessary. People are seen on a first come first served basis. We may not be able to see everyone who comes.

By appointment To book an appointment, call 020 7831 7079 Monday to Friday between 10am and 1pm. PLEASE NOTE:  we are experiencing a very high volume of calls – we apologise in advance for the delay in answering your call.

Outreach We also provide welfare benefits advice to Camden residents at the following organisations please contact them directly for an appointment:

Somers Town Community Centre: 150 Ossulston Street, London NW1 1EE

Hopscotch Asian Women’s Centre: www.hopscotchawc.org.uk/

Camden Carers Centre: http://www.camdencs.org.uk/contact-us

Jules Thorn Day Hospital: 4 St Pancras Way, NW1 0PE (by referral)

We have also produced some online videos about the Welfare Reform changes and how it impacts people. Click on the links below all play from YouTube:

Introduction Video 

What to do if you are affected by the benefit CAP

What to do if you fail an ESA Medical Assesment

What to do if your ESA is sanctioned

Camden Local Welfare Fund

What to do if you are affected by the Bedroom Tax

© 2017 Mary Ward Centre
Mary Ward Legal Centre
10 Great Turnstile

Registered Charity number: 1024148
Company limited by guarantee number: 2786099
VAT number: 56459 11 22

Phone: 020 7831 7079
Fax: 020 7831 4531